Number of Jobholders:
Co-ordinator, Captain Starlight
Number of Direct Reports:
Full / Part Time:
The Children’s Services team create and manage all aspects of the design, planning and delivery of a programme of wishes, children’s events and entertainment to brighten the lives of seriously and terminally ill children and their families.
Captain Starlight is a professional, leading edge and highly engaging entertainment programme that transforms the hospital experience for seriously ill children and their families and positively impacts on their emotional and social well being
Captain Starlight is the human face of Starlight’s in-hospital services and Captains use their performance skills in the character of Captain Starlight to provide timely, age appropriate entertainment experiences for seriously ill children and their families in the hospital and hospice environment.
Captain Starlight Experience – Positive Distraction
- In the character of Captain Starlight and under the guidance and mentorship of an experienced Captain Starlight (where possible), learn and use a variety of performance skills to contribute to the provision of timely, age, gender and culturally appropriate entertainment experiences for children in hospitals and hospices and at Starlight Escapes
- Collaborate with other Captains to provide high quality entertainment and maintain performance energy levels throughout every hospital and hospice visit
- Ensure the Captain Starlight ‘rocket’ (car) is clean, maintained and in working order at all times
- Ensure all Captain Starlight kit is maintained and in working order and that you have sufficient stock of supplies at all times
- Complete all administrative tasks as allocated by the Co-ordinator, Captain Starlight are completed in a professional and timely manner
- Always wear the Captain Starlight costume correctly and maintain the character of Captain Starlight at all times
- Recognise and respect hospital and hospice protocols, procedure and routines and liaise with hospital and hospice staff as appropriate
- Maintain strict personal and professional boundaries • Seek regular guidance and support from your Captain colleagues
- Actively participate in briefing / debriefing sessions and positively contribute to Team meetings.
- Be a Starlight Advocate – speak positively about Starlight with everyone you interact with and share Starlight stories
- Collect stories, photographs and video footage and prepare blogs, in accordance with Starlight’s publicity consent guidelines, to help promote and build awareness of the Captain Starlight programme
- To liaise with Starlight colleagues in PR and Fundraising to maximise all opportunities associated with the Captain Starlight programme and participate in visits with corporate partners, potential partners, celebrities and media
- Develop and maintain positive and productive relationships with hospital and hospice staff
- To attend Starlight events as and when appropriate
- To work as “one team” across Starlight, actively participating in any company wide projects and assisting team and Starlight colleagues as appropriate
Job Specific Skills
- Valid UK driving licence
- Drama school training / an arts degree (drama, acting, musical theatre) or similar qualification or level of experience
- Diverse range of performance skills including improvisation
- Experience working with children of all ages
- Excellent interpersonal communication and sensitivity
- Ability to work as part of a cohesive team
- Ability to problem solve and use initiative and creativity
- Personal effectiveness, honesty and integrity
- Patience, drive and resilience
- Emotional intelligence
- Passion and enthusiasm to want to make a difference to the lives of poorly children of all ages
- Skills used to engage children: Balloon modelling, face painting, magic, juggling, singing, ability to play a musical instrument, storytelling, dance/movement.
- 37.5 hours per week and normally Monday – Friday, although due to the nature of the role you are required to have a flexible approach to working hours and weekend duties and be prepared occasionally to volunteer your help with other activities (e.g. fundraising events).